Electronics retailer Best Buy, which said in March it would close 50 stores as it shifts focus to battle waning sales, has released a list of stores that will close, including one in Alexandria.
The Alexandria store, at 5901 Stevenson Ave., is the only Washington-area store that will close. One store in Fredericksburg is also on the list, as is one location in Baltimore and one in Hunt Valley.
Best Buy has already closed two stores, in Kansas City and Scottsdale, Ariz., and notified five others in Minneapolis and San Antonio that they will be closing. This weekend’s list included an additional 42 stores.
“This was not an easy decision to make,” Best Buy said in a statement. “We chose these stores carefully and are working to ensure the impact to our employees will be as minimal as possible.”
The Richfield, Minn.-based company says it will work to find affected employees jobs at other Best Buy locations, and will offer severance packages for others. Most stores will permanently close May 12.
Best Buy is shifting more focus to smaller stores and online sales after posting a $1.7 billion loss last quarter. In addition to employees affected by store closings, the chain is also cutting 400 jobs at its corporate and support levels.
Best Buy (NYSE: BBY) has about two dozen stores in the Washington area.
Get Updates Via Email
Click here to subscribe to our posts via a daily email.
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
Welcome to the Carlyle community of Alexandria, Virginia. Thanks for dropping by! Feel free to join the discussion by leaving comments, and stay updated by subscribing to the RSS feed.
- John Carlyle Square Park & Dog Park Update August 21, 2009
- 7-Eleven Store @ John Carlyle Square July 1, 2009
- We're Back Baby! Site Is Almost Back Up Fully August 31, 2011
- City Council Screws Carlyle Over Parking October 28, 2010
- Carlyle Dog Park Construction Set to Begin July 16, 2008
- Prince Street One Lane at Henry Street April 22, 2013
- City Hall Fountain On – Will Carlyle’s Be This Year April 21, 2013
- Top Cities With The Most People Who Move April 19, 2013
- Consider Springing Into ACTion on April 17! (Video) April 13, 2013
- Jerry’s Sub Carlyle Franchise Has Closed April 5, 2013
2010 2011 2012 alexandria alexandria virginia blotter capital beltway carlyle events carlyle neighborhood city city of alexandria community construction council crime crime report farmers market flooding gadsbys tavern john carlyle square park john carlyle street june king street lane closures may metro metrorail morning links neighborhood news old town park police report restaurant road closures september telegraph road traffic uspto virginia weather wmata woodrow wilson bridge wwb